“You haven’t done this before. Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy.”
John 16:24 (New Living Translation)
The question I am asked most often is, how can I be happy with my paralysis which caused a total change in my life after being healthy and active for 50 years? Let’s face it, all of us want to be happy and have joy in our lives.
To truly find happiness, you may need to pray about it and search your heart for the right answer. A documentary titled “Happy” states that 10% of happiness comes from circumstances, 50% from genetics and 40% intentional activity.
Flipped touches on this subject with regard to my sense of positive outlook and joy on a daily basis. I will try to convey the intentional activities I choose that brings happiness and joy to my life.
- Use your faith in God and prayer to lift you up on a daily basis. Be very specific about your requests and if they are in God’s will…God can handle it.
- Take care of your body by eating responsibly and engaging in some form of exercise no matter how minimal. It will give you a great sense of accomplishment.
- Be intentional about meeting with friends, co-workers and others in your daily life. Show them you really care for their well-being, and, in turn, they will provide the same to you. Show your heart to people; this brings me intense joy and an adrenalin rush. This activity really makes a big difference in my life; it makes me forget aches and pains I have on a daily basis.
- Attend church on a regular basis and join a small group Bible study. You will meet people with the same values, which leads to close friendships. I host a small men’s group weekly at my home. We joke around and laugh possibly more than we study the Bible. I love those guys.
- Count each day as a blessing because you are only given one day at a time. Use your day with purpose and choose to be happy. You may have many issues on your mind that cause sadness, but be happy realizing that you have the opportunity to live that day.
- Be grateful for the many blessings in your life, i.e. you are a child of God and I believe He loves you no matter what your faith may or may not be, your family, your friends, your health, and God’s beautiful earth are all gifts for us to enjoy.
So, this is my simple answer to the question of how I can be happy in my current circumstances. You are welcome to try it out or make your own changes to suit your unique preferences. Who knows you may find that over time these small changes may bring you happiness too. Please feel free to comment on this blog with your own “recipe” for happiness.
This is common sense beautiful
Thank you for reading and commenting on Tommy’s blog. You are right it is all common sense and we are grateful Tommy is willing to use his even on the hardest days. We appreciate your thoughts!